Wrap-up of operations at 253 Broadview Ave
Last month I made the difficult decision to cease operations at 253 Broadview as of this summer. That little storefront has been the home base for the Toronto X3 contingent since late 2015. It has become a second home to me and perhaps to some of you as well.
The seasonal nature of indoor training coupled with recent shifts in the indoor cycling industry, have made it impractical to operate a studio year-round. I have found that I am spending too much of my time and resources ensuring the financial viability of the space instead of being able to focus on continually optimizing the training experience of X3 athletes.
Leaving 253 Broadview is not the end for the Lab – merely a hiatus. We will be setting up Lab 2.0 in the fall of this year. It will operate as our cold-weather home.This will free up my time during the summer, and allow me the flexibility to expand the services offered to X3 and our partners. These will include:
- Outdoor riding during the warm months
- Outdoor track run sessions
- Open water swim sessions
In the very near future, we will start a team membership program for non-coached athletes allowing access to all of these group workouts as well as some other team perks.
I have been very fortunate to enjoy the support of such a dedicated group of athletes. Thank you! I know that together the #x3team will continue to grow. I ask for your support and understanding as we implement these changes over the summer. I truly believe that the result will be a more useful and robust training package for X3 coached athletes, non-coached team members, and our friends and partners in the endurance community.
What is the timeline for closing of the Lab at 253 Broadview Ave?
- The exact last day of operations is not yet known. It depends on how quickly the landlord at 253 Broadview can find a new tenant to take over the space. The current location will remain fully operational until AT LEAST until May 31st and no later than August 15th.
- Once a new tenant is secured, we have 30 days to vacate, so all stakeholders will receive 30 days’ notice.
What will happen to my indoor riding membership / ride pack?
- We will give everyone 30 days’ notice before ceasing operations at 253 Broadview. Those with monthly memberships will have the option to prorate a partial month’s worth of riding. Those with 5-packs will have to use up their remaining rides during this period. We will not issue refunds.
What will bike training look like for me?
- We will be adding outdoor group rides starting this May
- While the current 253 Broadview location is still open: 1x weekday + 1x SA
- After closing: 2x weekday + 1x SA
- For those athletes who elect to train at home, I will provide workouts from the Lab library that can be used with PerfPro or Trainer Road or structured TP workouts that can be used with Zwift
How will you ensure the same level of training quality outdoors?
- When we leave 253 Broadview, most of your training will be largely race-specific.
- For you long-course athletes, your key workout will be the weekly long ride. We will do these as a team. I will coach them. You will have weekly assignments to execute using your power meters or HR
- Weekday rides will continue to involve VO2max work and race-specific demands like bricks.
- VO2max workouts will be performed on hills of various lengths. You will all have power or RPE targets to hit on each ascent. We will practice climbing at various cadences to maintain muscular ability.
- Bricks will take place on quiet road loops, with a facilitator keeping an eye on bikes while you are running. Quality will again be maintained by closely monitoring power / HR on the bike and pace on the run.
What about coach face-time?
- I will lead the vast majority – if not all – of our outdoor workouts. We will still have the opportunity to check-in face-to-face multiple times each week.
Where will we meet for outdoor rides?
- We will start with 4 rotating locations for mid-week rides
- Bayview / Southvale/ Millwood / Beechwood loop for VO2 max efforts
- Cherry / Commissioner for TT repeats and bricks
- Real Deal’s Thursday Night TT (Stouffville)
- High Park hot laps
- Weekend rides TBD. Considering monthly rotating locations to keep things fresh
- Other X3 Team Faves
Where will we train indoors for the colder/snowy times of year?
- We are negotiating with a couple of locations to host us during the fall-winter-spring of 2018/19. We will do our best to keep it reasonably close to the current 253 Broadview location.
How will this affect my cost as an X3 team member?
- While we operate out of 253 Broadview, your costs will not change.
- After we move out of 253, your costs will decrease as all outdoor workouts (with the exception of one-off clinics) will be free to coached athletes
How will this affect the overall team aspect of X3?
- X3 will continue to be team-focused. That is, those members who want to be part of the community will have the opportunity to do so in any/all of the following ways
- Outdoor (and later indoor) team training sessions
- Team-only Facebook forum
- Team races
- Team socials
Will there be a new location for long Sunday runs?
- The EBRC + X3 Sunday long runs are an important training component. We will be looking to find a suitable local business to act as our new home for the Sunday long runs after the current 253 Broadview location closes this summer.
Will you still be offering track workouts this summer?
- We are looking to start structured track workouts in May of this year at the Riverdale Park track. Date of the week and exact time is TBD.
- These workouts will be free to coached athletes and subscribed team members. Drop ins will also be available.
How does this affect the “partnership” with EBRC?
- X3 will continue to coordinate with EBRC.
- The midweek track workout organized by X3 will add structured intensity work to those who want to add some to their training.
- If desired, X3 would be happy to deliver relevant presentations to EBRC members before or after their Monday evening runs.
Will you still offer products/bike fit help/team kits?
- We will continue to offer team kits. Our 2018 kit orders are in progress now!
- We will continue to offer products until further notice. This may or may not change once we have secured an indoor training partner for the fall.
- Bike fits and virtual wind tunnel services will continue to be offered at either the athlete’s home or at a partner bike shop.
Will you still offer partner discounts?
- Our current partnerships and associated discounts will not be affected by this change. In fact, we have an opportunity for additional discounts once we have secured an indoor training partner for the fall.
When do I have to have my bike picked up from your storage area?
- We will be provided with 30 days’ notice of the closure of the 253 Broadview location. You will have 15 days to pick up your bike from the time of this notice.
Thank you for your continued support and understanding. Please email or direct message me with any questions!