26 May Endurance Innovation 105 – Marc Graveline on Aerometers
Posted at 20:20h in Uncategorized 0 Comments
Aerodynamic field testing pioneer Marc Graveline joins us this week to recount the – fairly short – history of cycling aerodynamic testing outdoors, it’s challenges, the state of tech today, and where he sees it heading in the future.
Thank you to 4iiii Innovations for supporting the podcast! If you’re after a reliable, accurate power meter, then use code 20214iiii-EI20% to receive 20% off any Factory Install power meter purchased through the 4iiii website.
- 2:00 Meet Marc Graveline
- 4:30 the birth of Notio
- 8:00 what does Marc want out of an aero sensor / product?
- High precision
- Ease of use
- 11:30 Marc’s current use of an aerometer in races
- Accurate wind data
- Post-race position analysis
- 17:15 a history of cycling aerodynamic modeling
- 18:30 some aero math and the role of wind
- 22:00 the role of elevation gain
- 28:00 the multitude of inputs required for aerodynamic calculation and the resultant sources of error
- 31:15 the Chung Virtual Elevation method
- 34:45 what is the state of the technology today?
- 38:30 on power meter accuracy
- 41:15 the current aerometer options
- 47:30 the future of aerometers
- 51:00 integrating positional sensors with aerometers
- 1:00:00 the value of open-sourcing aero data and technology