10 Jun Endurance Innovation 107 – Return to Play post COVID with Dr. Fabiano Araujo
Doctor of sports medicine and coach Fabiano Araujo covers recommendations on safe return to training following a COVID-19 infection and other respiratory illnesses.
Thank you to 4iiii Innovations for supporting the podcast! If you’re after a reliable, accurate power meter, then use code 20214iiii-EI20% to receive 20% off any Factory Install power meter purchased through the 4iiii website.
- 2:15 meet Dr. Fabiano Araujo
- 3:30 the unclear roadmap for return to play following a COVID-19 infection
- Was the disease mild or severe?
- Implications of Long COVID
- Risk of myocarditis
- 8:30 myocarditis risks explained
- 15:45 mechanism of action of the virus on the heart
- 18:45 when ‘return to play’ post COVID does not go according to plan
- 22:30 the reduction in influenza cases during the COVID pandemic
- 25:00 non-COVID respiratory illness advice. Is the ‘below the neck / above the neck’ principle valid?
- Full body effects, fever, muscle pain = no training
- Minor symptoms above the neck = light, short training allowed
- 31:15 the value of a saline nasal rinse
- 35:30 the role of the immune system in recovery from exercise
- 41:00 the challenges for automated training systems
- 42:45 using HRV to determine readiness to train and the trouble with ‘black boxes’