05 Sep Endurance Innovation 17 – Allan Hovda 2.0
Allan Hovda returns after an epic finish at Norseman Xtri and a big win at Lofoten to tell the tale. We cover his nutrition, bike position, hot-weather adaptations, and race-day mindset.
- 1:15 Allan’s Norseman Xtri-specific preparation and changes to his plan for an atypically warm race
- 7:30 Allan as guinea pig: participating in a study on physiological effects of an extreme full distance triathlon
- 12:00 the optimal placement of ice for cooling
- 12:30 Allan’s revised hydration and sodium strategy and why he stepped away from the ‘drink to thirst’ strategy for this year’s race
- 20:30 Allan’s bike nutrition strategy
- 26:30 the case for a race-course U-turn
- 31:00 Allan’s run nutrition
- 37:30 Allan’s race day
- 40:45 how relaxed do you want to be to start a race
- 43:00 Allan’s mental game
- 49:45 The bike position, the super-tuck, and aerodynamics
- 52:00 The run and the closest finish in Norseman XTRI history
- 54:30 The satisfaction of giving everything
- 1:01:30 What’s next for Allen?