20 Feb Endurance Innovation 39 – Q & A – 1x drivetrains, 70.3 nutrition, and daily energy
Posted at 13:13h in Podcast 0 Comments
Michael takes three questions from listeners and offers his thoughts on selecting chainrings for 1x drivetrains, why energy levels fluctuate throughout the day, and the importance of sparing glycogen.
- 1x chainring choice process:
- Identify goal race power and own aerodynamics to calculate projected speed
- Identify your typical cadence at that power
- Use bikecalc.com ‘speed at cadence’ calculator to calculate ideal gear setup for that speed and cadence
- Select a chainring that gives you a little bit of range should you need to go faster / slower than planned
- Why do our energy levels differ between morning and evening workouts
- Early bird vs night owl chronotypes
- Importance of nutrition
- 70.3 (half Ironman) Nutrition strategies
- Load up on carbs before the race
- Know your carb combustion rates
- Train to maximize carb intake on the bike to spare muscle glycogen
Have a listen to our aero breakdown episode.