20 Feb Endurance Innovation 39 – Q & A – 1x drivetrains, 70.3 nutrition, and daily energy
Michael takes three questions from listeners and offers his thoughts on selecting chainrings for 1x drivetrains, why energy levels fluctuate throughout the day, and the importance of sparing glycogen.
- 1x chainring choice process:
- Identify goal race power and own aerodynamics to calculate projected speed
- Identify your typical cadence at that power
- Use bikecalc.com ‘speed at cadence’ calculator to calculate ideal gear setup for that speed and cadence
- Select a chainring that gives you a little bit of range should you need to go faster / slower than planned
- Why do our energy levels differ between morning and evening workouts
- Early bird vs night owl chronotypes
- Importance of nutrition
- 70.3 (half Ironman) Nutrition strategies
- Load up on carbs before the race
- Know your carb combustion rates
- Train to maximize carb intake on the bike to spare muscle glycogen
Have a listen to our aero breakdown episode.