18 Sep Endurance Innovation 70 – Kurt Bergin-Taylor on Aero Optimization
Friend of the show and sport scientist at Cycling Canada, Kurt Bergin-Taylor is back to share (what he can!) about improving your cycling aerodynamics.
Endurance Innovation is now on Patreon! Have a peek at our page and show us some love.
- 5:00 baseline aerodynamics CdA values
- Most aerodynamic male pro triathletes are around 0.200 and even below
- 0.230 considered very good for average-sized male
- 0.250 to 0.270+ is common for reasonably well-fitted male age groupers
- Track riders can be as low as 0.160
- 6:45 how much of a time difference does this make? The Cody Beals case study
- At his current-ish CdA of 0.22, and using his IMMT power output of 260W average, Cody would be traveling at ~42kph on a flat course
- If he could get down to a very ambitious CdA of 0.18, he could get up to ~44kph, which is a savings of almost 12 minutes over 180km!
- At an optimized, track cycling world-class CdA of 0.16, he could hold 46kph at 260W. Of course, this is not a realistic value in all likelihood.
- 16:15 what can we do to improve aerodynamics?
- Test to determine CdA
- Experiment with position changes, starting with the front end and retest each iteration
- Spend some training time in that optimized position and at race-specific power AND speed
- Spend time wearing your full race kit in simulation workouts – especially helmets
- 22:45 achieving and training that optimal head position
- Experiment with stack height: sometimes a slightly taller stack can allow you to lower your head
- Mirrors / photos and videos from the side
- Train the position in an interval format
- 29:00 focus on that front end
- 32:15 important equipment choices
- Find the best helmet, test as many as possible
- Understand your target speed and local climatic conditions
- Evaluate cost-benefit of aero overshoes
- Marginal gains add up – especially in TT
- 34:30 Saving energy on the bike is key in long course racing
- 38:30 consider your ‘sustainable drag’ that is, making sure you can hold that position for the duration of the target event
- 39:45 skin suit fabrics and fit