01 Oct Endurance Innovation 72 – Look Cycle’s Pierre Facomprez
Posted at 12:34h in Podcast 0 Comments
Product manager for the fabled French bicycle and component maker Look and chaser of two-wheel efficiency Pierre Facomprez is on the show to cover non-traditional wheels, wrinkly aero suits, and a really neat cockpit solution.
Endurance Innovation is now on Patreon! Have a peek at our page and show us some love.
- 2:00 meet Pierre Facomprez, product manager at Look Cycle
- 6:00 a fun digression about swapping the drivetrain to the left side of the bike for track racing
- 14:00 the aerodynamic benefits of solid-spoke (tri-spoke) wheels
- This is a debate on the front wheel only. In the rear, use a disk whenever permitted
- Rotational drag is 25% of the total drag generated by the wheel (source DT Swiss)
- Disk brakes mean more spokes, which increases rotational drag. Solid spokes do not contribute to rotational drag when mounted on modern, wide forks.
- Modern tri-spoke wheels are using less-deep spokes that taper towards the rim
- Weight penalty for a disk brake tri-spoke vs a similar depth traditional spoke wheel is about 200g (tri spoke is heavier)
- 37:15 Pierre’s hidden valve trick
- 43:00 tri suits
- Make sure that the pad works!
- Test your suits. The difference may be substantial
- Try your suit on the bike when it’s wet and de-wrinkle after the swim
- Calf sleeves can be quite fast
- 58:00 the Aergo cockpit. Comfort equals speed.
Take a peek at all the bikes, wheels, and components on offer from Look and Corima.