19 Nov Endurance Innovation 79 – Peloton Aerodynamics
Posted at 10:28h in Is It Aero, Podcast 0 Comments
Andrew and Michael take a deep dive into a recent study on the astonishingly high drag reduction found in the middle of large cycling pelotons.
Endurance Innovation is now on Patreon! Have a peek at our page and show us some love.
- 3:00 Aerodynamic Drag in Cycling Pelotons by Bert Blocken, et al.
- 3:45 Pelotons in the natural world
- 10:00 why it took so long to study large pelotons
- 24:30 our assumptions of aero drag reductions in pelotons
- 26:00 study results: up to a 95%!! reduction in drag
- 27:45 drag reduction in the lead rider up to 15%
- 31:00 the highway illustration
- 33:00 the voracity of the findings
- 35:45 the costs of sitting in the back of a group
- 39:15 the implication for runners
- 41:30 call for listener experience / power data