25 Feb Endurance Innovation 93 – Puppy Paws, Aerobic Thresholds, and Records Waiting to be Broken
Andrew and Michael fly solo? duo? to cover UCI position bans, Michael’s experimentation with aerobic, long rides, and the audacious sub 7 / sub 8 attempt by some of the biggest names in triathlon.
- 1:30 the UCI ban on ‘puppy paws’
- 4:30 3 cases of the aerodynamics of a larger rider
- Baseline position: riding with a fairly low torso but with hands on hoods (forearms close to horizontal) yielded a CdA of 0.259
- in ‘puppy paw’ posture yielded a CdA of 0.233, an increase in speed on flats of 1.5kph at 300W over baseline
- Torso and arms similar to ‘puppy paws’ but hands wider and now on the hoods yielded a CdA of 0.236, an increase in speed at that same 300W of 1.3kph over baseline
- 12:15 Michael’s HRV DFA Alpha 1 experimentation update
- 21:00 breaking 7 / 8 strategies:
- Downstream swim
- Guter uber slippery on the bike
- Run a 2:30 marathon
For more DFA A1 and aerobic threshold testing context, check out our conversation with Bruce Rogers.