22 Oct Endurance Innovation 75 – To Crossfit or not to Crossfit
In maybe our most contentious episode to date, Andrew and Michael debate the pros and cons of Crossfit for endurance athletes. We’re still friends, FWIW.
Endurance Innovation is now on Patreon! Have a peek at our page and show us some love.
- 1:00 why Andrew does Crossfit
- 5:45 the initial experience
- 10:00 Andrew’s one reservation
- 10:45 going to gyms in the era of COVID
- 13:00 Michael weighs in on the value of group strength training
- 14:30 Michael is not a fan of Crossfit for endurance athletes
- 15:15 during the end of Crossfit classes, the ‘Workout of the Day’ requires completing highly technical, loaded movements when under extreme fatigue AND without possibly having the necessary skill at that movement. This is a recipe for injury. This is a high risk / low reward activity.
- 23:00 WOD / bootcamps tend to emphasize the glycolytic metabolic pathway, which is not what MOST endurance athletes need
- 25:00 psychological benefits of all-out exercise
- 27:30 the case against frequent, all-out exercise bouts. The time to recover is not worth the training stimulus